MISSION AND GOALS
Photograph © Barbara Yoshid
The mission of the International Dark-Sky Association (IDA) is to preserve and protect the nighttime environment and our heritage of dark skies through environmentally responsible outdoor lighting.
The IDA, through its policies and efforts, seeks to:
1. Improve the nighttime environment by reducing light pollution through better lighting practices that provide:
2. Raise awareness about curtailing light pollution, the beneficial effects of doing so, and its solutions;
3. Educate about the values of environmentally responsible outdoor lighting while collaborating with other like-minded organizations;
4. Promote responsible legislation, public policy, research, and standards in a professional and scientifically sound manner; and
5. Seek specific solutions that mitigate light pollution, including:
Learn more about IDA and how you can become a protector of the natural night by visiting the Frequently Asked Questions page.
For media or press, or for more general information, please view the IDA Press Kit for information.