Do you know a dark sky advocate who deserves recognition for their work defending the natural nighttime environment?
The International Dark-Sky Association is pleased to request nominations for the 2019 IDA Awards. Each year, IDA recognizes and celebrates the incredible achievements of individuals and groups who are committed to our mission to preserve and protect the natural nighttime environment. Each awardee receives a personalized award, an invitation to IDA’s Annual General Meeting for the awards ceremony, and one-year complimentary membership to IDA.
The nomination period is open until May 31st, 2019. Learn more about each award category and submit a nomination here.
The 2019 Award categories are:
- Crawford/Hunter Lifetime Achievement Award for pioneering leadership in protecting the night sky and reducing light pollution (1 annual recipient)
- Hoag/Robinson Award for outstanding work in educating governmental organizations, businesses and the public about the merits of outdoor lighting control ordinances (1 annual recipient)
- Galileo Award in recognition of outstanding achievements in research or academic work on light pollution over a multiple year period (one annual recipient)
- Lighting Design and Technological Innovation Award for quality outdoor lighting (one annual recipient)
- Dark Sky Defender Award in appreciation and recognition of individuals’ and/or organizations’ exceptional efforts to promote and advance the mission and programs of IDA to preserve night skies (up to five annual recipients)
- Rising Star Award in honor of a student of any grade level who demonstrates enthusiasm for and commitment to dark sky efforts (up to three annual recipients)
- Bob Gent Community Leadership Award in recognition of exceptional leadership in outreach and education programs or natural nighttime awareness (one annual recipient)
- Nocturnal Habitat Protection Award recognizing those whose actions have been instrumental to the conservation of substantial nocturnal habitat (one annual recipient)
- Dark Sky Place of the Year in recognition of exceptional achievement to an IDSP that has been established for at least three years (one annual recipient)