Note: As of 1 August 2020 IDA no longer accepts new nominations for the Dark Sky Friendly Development of Distinction program.
The IDA Dark Sky Friendly Development of Distinction certification program was designed to recognize subdivisions, master planned communities and unincorporated neighborhoods and townships whose planning actively promotes a more natural night sky but does not qualify for the International Dark Sky Community designation. Dark Sky Friendly Development of Distinction promote sensitive outdoor lighting in an effort to preserve the environment from unnecessary light at night, including (but not limited to) light trespass, glare and skyglow. The award was designed to garner community support for environmentally responsible outdoor lighting.
Certified IDA Dark Sky Developments of Distinction
- Harmony, St Cloud, Florida
- Sierra la Rana, Alpine, Texas
- Lost Creek, Austin, Texas
- River Hills Neighborhood Association, Austin, Texas
- Galena Territory, Galena, Illinois
- Sunriver, Deschutes County, Oregon