International Dark Sky Park
Ramah, New Mexico 87321
El Morro National Monument (El Morro) was created in 1906 by President Theodore Roosevelt in order to protect Inscription Rock, a sandstone bluff containing over 2,000 inscriptions and petroglyphs spanning a cultural continuum of almost 1,000 years. The park also protects significant archeological resources, including a largely unexcavated Ancestral Puebloan village site atop the bluff which is among the largest 13th and 14th century settlements in the American Southwest. The park was expanded in 1916 by President Woodrow Wilson, and again in 1950 by the U.S. Congress. Today, the monument protects 1,278 acres of land at approximately 7,200′ to 7,500′ of elevation and is administrered by the U.S. National Park Service (NPS).