IDA Advocates are an important part of our success
IDA’s Advocate Network is a global community united in its efforts to protect the night from light pollution. Check out the work of some of our advocates, and submit your interest in joining below.
The process is simple! Watch a pre-recorded IDA Light Pollution 101 training, here. After viewing this training, please fill out this form and you will be invited to join IDA’s global communication platform, be given access to exclusive advocate resources, and invited to join additional monthly advocate trainings on various aspects of light pollution and dark sky conservation. We hope to hear from you soon! Thanks for your interest in protecting the dark.
Find an IDA Chapter or Delegate near you
Become a Pin on the Map!
Do you want to become a local point of contact for dark sky in your area? Apply to be an IDA Delegate. (Information about starting an IDA Chapter/Dark Sky Group will be forthcoming.)
IDA Dark Sky Delegate: Individual advocates who have agreed to be a local point of contact and submit annual reports. IDA Delegates may be identified with a specialization.
Delegates who live within existing Chapter/Group geographies will be encouraged to participate in the local Chapter/Group. If your work expands beyond their boundaries, or you are working on a particular project that deserves recognition, exceptions may be granted if coordinated with the local Group.
To apply to become an IDA Delegate:
- Step 1: Join the IDA Dark Sky Network. Attend the IDA 101 training, see above for schedule. (This training requirement may be waived if the person is well known/an expert in the field.) Commit to IDA mission/vision/values and Lighting Principles.
- Step 2: Participate in the IDA Dark Sky Network for three months. (This requirement may be waived if the individual is well known in the field or where existing delegates can attest to their work and reputation). Attend or review monthly advocate meetings and participate in slack.
- Step 3: Review the IDA Dark Sky Network Handbook for Delegates (versão em português) and Submit an application to be recognized as a Delegate and sign the online Delegate Agreement.
- Step 4: We encourage all Delegates to be active IDA members at a meaningful level.
Applications will be reviewed at the beginning of each calendar month. If your application is approved, you will be required to sign an agreement, which will be sent via DocuSign.
- Ongoing requirements:
- Attend monthly advocate meetings when possible, participate in and be active on IDA Slack.
- Reporting requirements: mandatory annual reporting. Optional monthly reporting.